Thursday, March 26, 2009

Scapbook

....But as a black woman, I have witnessed the outrage of girlfriends when the ex failed to show up for his weekend with the kids, and I've seen the disappointment of children who missed having a dad around. Having enjoyed a close relationship with my own father, I made a conscious decision that I wanted a husband, not a live-in boyfriend and not a "baby's daddy," when it came my time to mate and marry.
My time never came.
For years, I wondered why not. And then some 12-year-olds enlightened me.
"Marriage is for white people."

By Joy Jones, Sunday, March 26....
THE WASHINGTON POST Click it
__________________________________________________________
By Cynthia Tucker
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
President-elect
Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, are members of a minority:
They are a black married couple.
Wed 16 years in October, the Obamas conceived their two daughters,
Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, after the wedding.
While that kind of traditional couplehood is losing popularity
in every corner of the country, it has all but disappeared in black America,
where more than 70 percent of children are born outside marriage.
SEE BELOW FOR THE STORY
*******
Todays BLOG is dedicated to my friend TERRY
- Happy Birthday Terry (coming 4/1/09).
...we are going to pray through.
...I know it's going to work out fine !!!

Things are not going well for the car. Some of those things could be repaired, but for a number of reasons I just let them go. Why? First, it runs okay without the repairs. Second, the repairs are
costly. Third, compared to other cars on the road the Celica still looks pretty good on the outside. Fourth, I doubt if anyone will notice if I make the repair or not. I’ve learned to work around the quirks in the car. Sometimes when someone is riding in the car with me I feel like I need to explain the problems to my new passenger. In reality, the passengers probably couldn’t care less, but because the car is so excellent on the outside, I feel the need to justify what is going on internally. So what’s wrong?....CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE STORY


*******

I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
And die to find out there isn't,
than live my life As if there isn't,
and die to find out there is.
- THANKS to Stacey Ann Martin

*******


*******



==========================================


Missing Fathers "A house without a father is a challenge. A neighborhood without fathers is a catastrophe."
—Bill Cosby

==========================================

In an era where love is the hot stuff in movies between unmarried couples, and marriage is the institution being abandoned in favor of cohabitation, seeing such a high-profile married couple who genuinely love each other is an epiphany for some. In recent weeks, some notable people have voiced their belief that the First Couple's example could launch a new appreciation for marriage, particularly in the African-American community.
A recent article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution brought out the fact that the rate of marriage among black adults is one third less than that of whites and Hispanics. Kids growing up in this culture are beginning to consider that "marriage is for white people." That's an observation expressed by Georgia's black Supreme Court chief justice

“I was really excited when I saw the Obama family on the [TV] screen [on Nov. 4] because I meet so many young African-Americans who, frankly, have never seen an intact family like this,” said Leah Ward Sears, chief justice of the Georgia Supreme Court and a board member of the Institute for American Values, which promotes marriage. “I’m hopeful [the Obamas] will be a brand-new model of what the ideal is, even if many, many of us will fall short of the ideal,” she added.


Our culture could stand to be reminded that marriage is the lifelong union of a man and women growing together in oneness. It will be interesting to see if the candidate who campaigned on a theme of change will see some of that change come about as a natural result of his commitment to his marriage. pictures from ALOMA MARTIN article from FAMILY LIFE TODAY


==========================================


Why is it so many high school students who head off to college wind up abandoning their faith? Jonathan Morrow says there's a lot pressing students in a lot of different directions. Can a college student really keep his faith strong while away from home? Jonathan Morrow talks about his university years, going to class, hanging out with friends, and serving in Campus Crusade for Christ. Today, he gives listeners a realistic look at the spiritual climate of most college campuses, and tells students what they can do to stay strong in the midst of it.

Welcome to College ......

AN ABSOLUTE MUST READ or at the very least listen to the PODCAST -> H E R E
==========================================

You already know about the heart-healthy effects of red wine, but new studies at Harvard Medical School and the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Biology have found that Resveratrol, a natural compound found in the skin of red grapes and hence in red wine, may radically reduce the risk not only of heart disease but also age related illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease. It might also counter the effects of a high-fat diet and even prolong life. CLICK HERE

No comments: