Tuesday, August 2, 2016

true

IDOLATRY?
GOLD STAR or BLACK STAR

A controversy is now unfolding over the alleged criticism of a "gold-star" family by a presidential candidate. A close friend of mine explained to me that "it is always wrong to criticize a war hero".

There was something subconsciously unsettling to me about this taboo. The more I thought about it the more uneasy I became.

I started to think about my 25 year old son who recently 'separated' from the "armed forces".

WHO ARE HEROES?



I say to him:
~ If you had courage enough to
put yourself in harms way,
You are a hero. Just because
you didn't go "down line" to
face enemy fire makes no
difference. Life goes on and
we learn from our mistakes.
Your 'service' will count.

It counts that you saw the
"system" from the inside.

Just as you were getting that
'close look', you were also being
'examined'. If you found the system
wanting and if the system found you
wanting, time will make allowance for 'repair'.

It counts that you achieved an academic goal. The time spent in pursuit of knowledge was rewarded with documented academic credit.

As life-long learners we always acknowledge progress. So, limited progress must be acknowledged as progress and be the basis for further progress. IMHO, a 72 month commitment to service truncated to 46 months should be immediately reinstated. What about the Peace Corp or the Salvation Army? Just a thought !

As we continue to reach for 'the fruit' in life we must not be driven by raw ambition. Our only motivation must be TRUTH.

Our life is worthwhile
only as we are "true".
(to ourselves and others)

If integrity is harmony
of my words and deeds
then that authenticity or trueness
will give me credibility. I will be believable; TRUE.

It was a hard sell for a carpenter from Nazareth who claimed to know God on such a personal level as to call Him Father. His believability was constantly called into question. Was He the victim of mental health issues or overly 'ambitious'?

He said:
••"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"••

••"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"••

The bible consistently contrasts idolatry with knowledge of and belief in THE ONE TRUE GOD and
we are constantly cautioned against the perils of idolatry.

I CAN ONLY BE TRUE
WHEN I KNOW TRUTH . . .

Otherwise I'm just another idolator !

TRUTH ?
• Reason
• Logic
• Fact
• Belief

Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

Likewise THE ONE TRUE GOD OF THE BIBLE finds "no fault" in us if we accept HIS TRUTH.

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. - John 17:3


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: