Thursday, May 14, 2009

do your best


I stumbled across this googling "Age Quad Agis"
I am proud to say that I am and have been a "Wolmarian" for almost ten years. This means that I used to be a student of the "Wolmers High School for Girls" just up until the year 2003 when I graduated from the school. Ironically though, I was not always this proud to be a student of the high school until the years finally drew closer to graduation. This was because when I first went there many of my close friends from prep school (a private primary level school), had gone to other high schools with each other. Therefore, I grew lonely as I do not make close friends with people very easily. However, it was another Wolmarian who lived near me who told me I would make new friends after a while, which I did.
Initially, "Wolmers" was only one school when it was created in the late eighteenth century. It was created because on May 21, 1729 because it was instructed by the late John Wolmer in his will to build a free school in the parish in which he would die. Nevertheless, after the great 1907 earthquake in Jamaica, the school was relocated, and over the years became an all girls' high school (Wolmer's High School for Girls), an all boys' high school (Wolmer's High School for Boys) and a private primary level school (Wolmer's Preparatory School). It is still seen as the oldest school in the English Speaking Caribbean.
I grew to love my school because of the unity of the alumnae, what we all learned, how I saw certain people change and what was expected of us. At times it was a cross between a charm school and a high school, as we were constantly being taught to behave like "ladies". I was also taught that many great people before us had passed through the school, and it was our legacy to excel just like them as our motto was "Age Quod Agis" which is a Latin phrase meaning "Whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability."
 
********************
<< John 9 >>
King James Bible
 

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
 
 
"I come here not to dispute the suggestion that I haven't yet achieved enough in my life," Obama said in a commencement speech Wednesday. With a smile he added: "First of all, (first lady) Michelle (Obama) concurs with that assessment. She has a long list of things that I have not yet done waiting for me when I get home."
 
"But more than that I come to embrace the notion that I haven't done enough in my life. I heartily concur. I come to affirm that one's title, even a title like 'president of the United States,' says very little about how well one's life has been led."
 
Obama challenged the graduating class to find new sources of energy, improve failing schools and never to rely on past achievement. He congratulated them on earning a degree, and said the next steps mattered more than a piece of paper or a tassel.
 
"I want to say to you today, graduates, class of 2009, that despite having achieved a remarkable milestone in your life — despite the fact that you and your families are so rightfully proud — you, too, cannot rest on your laurels. ... Your own body of work is also yet to come,"  READ MORE HERE

No comments: